Thursday, May 6, 2010

big boy bed


Kaleb's big boy bed has been quite an adjustment--a little bit for Kaleb but mostly for ME! I was never expecting any hang ups with the process since the past several months there has been absolutely no fussing from him when it's been time to go down for naps/bedtime. I tell him it's time for a nap and he simply grabs his blanket, walks into his bedroom, and will sometimes ask me to rub his back or read a book first but then he goes right down.

So over the weekend, we got him excited for his nap in his new bed and Derek and I put him down together and closed his door--the apartment has difficult knobs he can't open unlike the easy handles in our house so it's kind of ideal...we were half expecting him to try to open the door but instead we hear silence and thought he was actually staying in his bed. A few minutes pass by and Derek says "I hear him walking around." Yup, sure enough! Then we hear a couple gentle knocks on the door...then a few more. No fussing or crying so we didn't dare open the door. We peeked under the door and saw his little feet just scurrying about as he busied himself with his toys and books exploring his newfound freedom. I then had to jump in the shower to get ready for work and assumed Kaleb would be asleep by the time I got out. Surprise, surprise! Derek and Kaleb were playing together when I got out and Derek just started cracking up and was so excited to share the story of why Kaleb was out of his room. He tells me he peeked under the door again and Kaleb was laying right next to the door with his little legs tucked underneath him and one huge eyeball stared right back at Derek!! Then Kaleb's little eyeball widened in realization and he said "DADDY!!!" and reached his little hand under the door for his daddy! So of course, Derek, being the softy he is, reached right back and touches Kaleb's little fingers and let him out of the room! Hey, if Kaleb's little eye locked on mine I don't think I could resist either!

So for rest of the week I put him down for naps in his bed but he has ALWAYS ended up falling asleep right next to the door with his little legs tucked beneath him=( It's like he just wants to be as close to us as he can and it breaks my heart! But I'm holding strong. One day he actually woke up and walked to his bed and finished out his nap there but most days I check under the door and can reach beneath and touch his hair!

But night time has been great! He fell out of bed the first two nights without waking up! We actually saw the process. I walked in and he was sleeping while kneeling with only his head resting on the bed! I walked out to grab another pillow and when I walked back in he was soundly sleeping on the floor! Mornings are absolutely hilarious! We decided to keep his door open at night so he can just walk in to my room in the morning. I'm normally awake first since I nurse ashton early but once he woke me up! Or didn't wake me I should say! One morning I woke up and found him sitting cross legged right next to me in bed just staring at me and giving me the BIGGEST smile!! Little bit creepy but I guess I should appreciate the fact that he allowed me to sleep while he just watched in silent anticipation for me to wake up! I'm a light sleeper so he must not have made a PEEP!!! I suppose we'll have to keep his door closed from now on!

No comments: